She’s finally finished and just gorgeous. I’m so sad I won’t be able to keep her, but she is too big for my dining room.
You may remember when I first posted about picking her up at a local flea market. She was just sitting there, under a pile of
junk other treasures and I just had to have her.
She had great bones and was very sturdy.
I knew she would be beautiful in my dining room and thought she would fit perfectly. Sadness…I was wrong, about the size of my dining room any way. But, someone out there will be happy to have her.
Here is some of the process she went through.
First, the top got a good sanding and the bottom and drawers a good cleaning and a coat of Kilz primer.
Then I painted the bottom with 2 coats of Behr Cotton Whisper. I just purchased a sample and I still have some left.
Now, it was time for some stain. I used Minwax’s Red Mahogany and it turned out just gorgeous!
At this time, I wasn’t quite sure if I was going to stain that top ledge where I guess a mirror was attached. I didn’t know how I was going to hide those holes. But, I finally found a solution. I found little square carved wood appliques at Lowes that fit just perfectly. So, I glued those babies on and, voila, problem solved.
Then, I decided I wanted to put add a little color and highlight the details. I chose to use my free sample I got from Valspar in Mermaid, which is kind of a turquoise color. So, I painted it in the lines on the drawers and then lightly washed the entire bottom in the color.
It’s subtle, but I liked it. Then, it still needed something, so I used Valspar’s Antiquing Glaze in Asphaltium to give it more of an antique look.
Again, not real heavy.
And it was finished with a few coats of Wipe-On Poly from Minwax. Love that stuff, by the way. It’s so easy to use.
And, there she is, in all her glory.
Wow Us Wednesday over at Savvy Southern Style